My musings and random thoughts!

Writing on Air

Apo Paredes Escapes Catastrophe (APEC)

Posted on September 04, 2007 by jimparedes

Thanks to Edd Aragon for the wonderful acronym.

I am finally home.

I was discharged from Blacktown Hospital yesterday afternoon after 5 days of confinement due to dengue fever which I must have contracted in Manila before I arrived in Sydney last August 18. At one point, I really thought I was a goner. I was on my 7th day of high fever, was delirious and my headaches were debilitating. To make matters worse, no one in the hospital had a working knowledge of what dengue was. The doctors only knew about it theoretically. It was Lydia who was a big source of knowledge for them since she had had it before. It’s not surprising that they knew little about the virus since there are no dengue mosquitoes here in NSW. I was in the uncommon and almost laughable situation of being under the care of the best medical system in the world, but with the ‘wrong’ disease.

It has been a grueling experience but it was made so much more bearable by everyone who showed concern and prayed for my recovery.

I sincerely thank all of you who visited, prayed and sent healing intentions. I am humbled that God listened to your prayers. I am so lucky to be loved by true friends and kin who helped Lydia and my family cope during the past few days.

All throughout this ordeal, I was sustained by everyone’s healing love especially Lydia’s. I am really not too well yet since I am recovering from a life-threatening condition. The doctors and staff at the hospital were just simply wonderful and caring and I could not have made it without their dedication and determination in healing their patients.

This will be short. Am still tired. Please continue to pray for my full recovery.

God is good. I thank God for a new lease on life.

* * *

22 to “Apo Paredes Escapes Catastrophe (APEC)”

1. Anonymous says:

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear you are getting better.

I know Ala made a mention of her “ailing father” on her website recently. I had no idea it was dengue.

I wish you a speedy recovery. You will be in our prayers.

Best regards,

Jim101

2. SoulSearcher says:

Hi Jim,

I pray that you get well soon. Indeed, God is good! He took care of you that we may continue to receive His gifts through you.

Many of us look forward to your interesting and inspiring articles in the coming days.

God bless you and your family.
    All the best!

Regards,

3. Toron says:

that’s great news, but it scared me. I’m going back home after four years in oz and now I’ll be packing extra mosquito repellants – kristyn

4. Photo Cache says:

Am glad you’re safe and sound and at home. God bless always. I enjoyed your music and I am loving your blog. Keep going. Best regards…..Cora

5. niki says:

get well soon sir jim! =) God bless!

6. batapaloc says:

apo jim
    thank God you are safe and sound…..I hope and pray that you recover soon.

7. Maileen says:

Hello Tito Jim,

I pray that you get well soon. You will be in my prayers.

May the good Lord bless and guide you and your family always.

God is good all the time.

Regards,

MAILEEN

8. Jess and Pearl says:

Sir Jim, I’m glad that you have recovered from that dreadful virus. I pray that God will continually restore your health and strength.

9. elmer says:

apo jim,glad youre back.thank GOD for APEC.

10. Orville says:

Glad to hear ur alright Boss Jim. I’ll pray for your fast recovery.

11. evi says:

I wish you speedy recovery. To write about your experience with an unfamiliar virus to foreign people in a foreign land is a very good warning to our fellowmen.

12. isay says:

Glad to know you are better now. Your wife is truly a blessing. Unfortunately, it also happened to a filipino family over here and the child died. How sad, really.

Here’s wishing for your full recovery.

13. Benjie Ordonez says:

I pray for your full recovery.

My wife and I will see your show on the 14th here in Cebu. Take care sir Jim.

Benjie

14. Anonymous says:

I hope you will recover fully and quickly.

Kind regards,

Luis

15. Vicky says:

get well soon, Jim..I pray for your fast recovery..it’s the flue season here too and most people get a flue vaccination. It’s a must at our age. take care.

16. Anonymous says:

An inspirational quote for your new lease on life.

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
    George Eliot

Live onwards and be real.

17. Eden says:

its been awhile since my last visit but im happy to hear that you’re ok and I will continue to pray for your quick and safe recovery

kind regards!

18. Anonymous says:

Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear about your plight.
    It only shows how delicate and fragile life is. Somehow these things happen and becomes a new revelation in life–which we should appreciate more–fully (although we all know that you do).

Get well soon and enjoy your rest and time for reflection with your love ones.

Ano

19. Leah says:

I am so glad to hear that you are past the worst and is now recovering. I recently lost a good friend from back in Pinas due to Dengue, so hearing about your bout makes me thankful that you have survived such a deadly disease and more so that your wife was able to guide the doctors there.

I will say a prayer for your continued recovery.

20. bu says:

be well, mr jim..

21. sardonicnell says:

please get well soon, mr jim and take lots of rest. you’ll need it. it’s a blessing that you’re surrounded by a loving family and true friends. God bless!

22. Jim says:

To everyone who wished me well or prayed for me, from the essence of my being, I thank you very much.